I’ve recently been interested in the health benefits of honey. In the course of my research, I’ve noticed several, consistent reasons why we should incorporate more honey into our diets – besides its yummy taste! Since we have an excellent source for honey here at Cream of the West, I thought I’d share my discoveries.
- Honey possesses large amounts of friendly bacteria, including Lactobacilli, which aids in inhibiting the growth of harmful bacteria.
- When compared to other sweeteners, honey may improve blood sugar control and insulin sensitivity.
- Honey-based diets (versus sugar-based diets) have been shown to help reduce weight gain and body fat percentage.
- Honey has been shown to be an effective cough suppressant in children.
- The use of honey has been found to be an ergogenic (performance) aid in athletes.
- Used topically, honey can be used as a wound healing agent.
- Daily consumption of honey has been shown to raise levels of protective antioxidant compounds in humans.
- In a series of experiments, honey reduced total cholesterol and increased HDL (good) cholesterol in healthy subjects, decreased total cholesterol and LDL (bad) cholesterol in patients with high cholesterol, and significantly lowered the rise in blood sugar in subjects with type 2 diabetes.
So find yourself a local source for honey, and start enjoying it’s healthful benefits (or order Bear Luv-Un Honey direct from Cream of the West.)
Start incorporating honey into your diet by trying some of our scrumptious recipes, like Honey-Mustard Salad Dressing!