Game Day Sloppy Joes (Best Sloppy Joe Recipes)
Feed a crowd with these delicious sloppy joes, thickened with quick oats from Cream of the West! Best stuffed into freshly baked pita pockets. Of course, the traditional hamburger bun will suffice!
Author: Susan Moore
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 2 lb. ground beef
- 1½ c. chopped onion, about 1 large
- 1 c. chopped celery
- 1 can crushed tomatoes, 28 oz.
- ¼ c. Cream of the West Roasted Quick Oats
- 2 T. brown sugar
- 1 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 t. chili powder
- dash Tobasco sauce (or 1 t. dried red chili flakes)
- 1 c. water
- 1 t. salt
- dash pepper
- pita pockets or hamburger buns
- In a large skillet brown ground beef, onion, and celery until beef is browned and onion and celery is tender; drain excess fat. Stir in tomatoes, oats, brown sugar, Worcestershire, chili powder, Tobasco, water, salt, and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until mixture is of desired consistency. Scoop mixture into halved pita pockets or onto buns and serve. Makes 10 to 12 servings.