This tried-and-true healthy waffle recipe comes from Cream of the West's "Cookbook of Country Favorites"
Author: Susan Moore
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 1¾ cups sifted flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ cup Cream of the West Roasted Wheat
- 6 Tbsp. melted shortening
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk or sour milk
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda and salt; add Cream of the West Roasted Wheat.
- Beat the eggs thoroughly and combine with the buttermilk. Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well. Blend in the melted shortening.
- Bake on a preheated waffle iron until golden brown. Serve immediately. Makes approximately 8 waffles.