Peg's Beef Barley Soup
Try this hearty soup for an old-fashioned taste of the west!
Author: Susan Moore
Recipe type: Soups
- 1 lb. beef stew meat
- 2 T. canola or olive oil (for browning)
- 5 c. water
- 1 - 16 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 T. kosher salt
- 2 c. sliced carrots
- 1 c. sliced celery
- ¾ c. chopped green or red pepper
- ⅔ c. pearl barley
- ¼ c. chopped parsley
- Brown beef in oil in heavy Dutch oven.
- Add water, tomatoes, onion and salt.
- Simmer, covered, for 1½ hours.
- Add carrot, celery, green pepper, barley, and parsley.
- Continue to simmer, covered, for 45 minutes, or until beef and barley are tender. Makes 8 servings.