Whole grain bread recipes from Cream of the West's "Cowboy Cookbook"
Author: Misty Sarvis
Seeley Lake, Montana
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅛ cup cornstarch
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¾ cup Cream of the West Roasted Wheat
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- ⅛ cup oil
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup melted butter or margarine
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp melted butter or margarine
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease an 8"x8" pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix dry ingredients, stirring well.
- In a small bowl, beat together the rest of the ingredients with a fork until blended.
- Pour liquid mixture into dry and, with a very light hand, use the fork to only slightly blend. Leave dry and wet areas.
- Pour into pan and spread evenly.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until very lightly golden. Brush on the mixture of melted butter and honey for a flowing sheen, if desired. Serve warm or cold. This recipe will keep for days.