Prep time: 35 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Recipe from Cream of the West's "Cowboy Cookbook"Author: Alice Oblander
- 1 cup Cream of the West Roasted Ranch Oats
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 banana, mashed (1/2 cup pumpkin or applesauce may be substituted for banana)
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup brown sugar + 2 Tbsp for topping muffins (optional)
- 1½ cups unbleached flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- Pour buttermilk over oats in a mixing bowl and let stand for 15-30 minutes. Add egg, oil, and brown sugar. Mix well. Add mashed banana.
- Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. Add to above mixture, blending just enough to absorb flour.
- Spoon into lined muffin cups. Sprinkle top of each muffin with a little brown sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Make 1 dozen average size muffins.