Recipe from Cream of the West's Cowboy Cookbook
Author: Susan Moore
Recipe type: Breads and Muffins
Serves: 2 loaves
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 1 hour 35 mins
- 2 pkgs. (or 2 Tbsp.) yeast
- ½ cup melted butter or margarine
- 4 Tbsp. powdered milk
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs well beaten
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- ½ cup Cream of the West Roasted Ranch Oats
- 4½ to 5 cups flour
- 1 cup Cream of the West Roasted 7-Grain
- In a small bowl, soften yeast in ½ cup water and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the powdered milk, brown sugar, eggs, molasses, salt and 1¼ cups water to melted butter or margarine and mix well.
- Add the yeast mixture, Cream of the West Roasted Ranch Oats, flour (adding one cup at a time to make a soft dough) and Cream of the West Roasted 7-Grain.
- Turn onto a floured board and knead approximately 5 minutes.
- Cover and let rise 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Divide dough in half and shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9"x5" loaf pans.
- Let rise until double in size.
- With scissors, make 3 diagonal cuts on top of the loaves. Each cut should be approximately ¼" deep.
- Sprinkle with small amount of Cream of the West Roasted Ranch Oats.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.